I first tried one of many oven roasted Brussels sprouts recipes as a favor to my wife a number of years ago. I am normally a meat and potatoes kind of guy who used to have very little interest in preparing anything green. But having children, and maintaining a happy marriage, have prompted me to broaden my horizons a bit, to include a few things that even doctors and nutritionists would agree are beneficial.
And once I actually ate these roasted Brussels sprouts, I quickly became a fan. Let’s call it a tepid fan. I’m not saying that they would take the place of a late night ice cream run, but as a healthy and dependable side dish for dinner a few nights a week, this dish has certainly become a staple in our house.
It’s nice to know that every once in a while, it’s even ok to throw in a few small pieces of ham, bacon or pancetta to add a little flair, but since I am focusing on a vegetable side dish for this post, I skipped the meat in this recipe and simply covered the basics here.
This dish also lends itself to home cooking because it’s so easy to time well so that everything is done right when you want to get to the table. The hardest part is the prep work necessary to get the Brussels sprouts reading for roasting, while the actual cook time is about 20-30 minutes, depending upon just how crispy and toasty you like your Brussels Sprouts. Which makes it real easy to prepare the sprouts early in your dinner making routine, and then just wait to actually roast them until much closer to eating time.
Oven Roasted Brussels Sprouts
- 1 bag of Brussels Sprouts
- olive oil butter or avocado oil
- 1 teaspoon salt
- Preheat oven to 400, convection if you have it, then remove Brussels sprouts from bag and cut off all stem ends
- Remove loose dark green outer layers from each sprout so that you are left with a tight and smooth sprout, lighter green in color
- Cut each peeled sprout in half and into a bowl
- Add up to 1 T olive oil and 1 teaspoon sea salt and mix to evenly coat
- Place Brussels Sprouts on tray for the oven, taking the time to turn the cuts sides down on the pan
- Roast in pre-heated oven for 20-30 minutes, or until your desired level of doneness and crispiness.
- Serve immediately