Roasting vegetables is great and can accommodate all sorts of options, but sometimes I’m not in the mood for cooked vegetables and would prefer something a little lighter.
Which is why I started looking around for another recipe similar to my Tomato Cucumber Salad recipe, which is light, cold and simply a tasty combo of chopped ingredients, and I found it in this Brussels Sprouts coleslaw recipe.
All the recipes that I found online started with some kind of measurements that don’t exist in the real world when shopping at the grocery store. What does someone mean by 1.5 cups of Brussels sprouts? Peeled? Trimmed? I’ve never seen a bag of sprouts that was a pound and a half, why give me measurements that are so annoying?
How about a recipe that simply starts with how many bags of Brussels Sprouts we’ll need? Seems easy enough. In this case, you’ll need two bags.
Once I settled on how many to start with, I needed to figure out how to easily shred the Brussels sprouts without losing any fingers. A box grater seemed like a poor choice, and my Kitchen Aid attachment didn’t work as well as I had hoped.
But my Vitamix came through like a champ. After trimming and peeling the Brussels sprouts, I threw them into the Vitamix in two portions and simply used a medium speed pulse to finely shred them before dumping them into a bowl to await the rest of the ingredients.
The rest of the ingredients are pretty straight forward. Peel and core the apple before chopping into small pieces. Peel the shallot and finely chop as well. And the rest of the ingredients go into a tall sided measuring cup to be combined as the dressing for the coleslaw.
I chose to go with avocado oil instead of olive oil simply because I would be using my immersion blender. If your blender spins fast enough it can break the oil droplets that olive oil is made from and make it taste quite bitter. Avocado oil does not have that same quality, you can blend away without breaking any of the droplets.
If you decide to use olive oil for your Brussels sprouts coleslaw, I would just recommend that you hand whisk the dressing or use a very low speed blender.
Brussels Sprouts Coleslaw
- 2 bags Brussels sprouts
- 1 Apple – Granny Smith
- 1 Shallot
- 1 Lemon zest and juice
- 1 tbsp Dijon mustard
- 2 tbsp Mayonnaise
- 1/4 cup Avocado oil or olive oil
- 1 tbsp Horseradish
- 1 tsp salt or to taste
- 1/4 tsp black pepper or to taste
- Cut stems off of Brussels sprouts and peel off the loose outer leaves
- Shred the Brussels sprouts into a medium bowl, I use my Vitamix and pulse the sprouts in batches to shred them
- Peel and core your apple and chop into small pieces and add to the shredded sprouts
- Finely chop the shallot and add to the bowl
- In an immersion blender cup add the oil, zest of a lemon, juice from a lemon, mayo, mustard, horseradish, salt and pepper and blend until smooth
- Pour dressing over shredded Brussels sprouts and stir to combine